Spokeswoman for Russia’s Foreign Ministry Zakharova calls Zelensky a “terrorist outcast”. Credit: REUTERS/Maxim Shemetov

Russian officials are vowing a strong response to what they describe as a “terrorist attack” using 91 Ukrainian UAVs against Putin’s Valdai residence in Novgorod oblast. Russia’s Ministry of Defence says all drones were intercepted with no casualties or damage being reported.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov says that Russia’s Armed Forces have deemed “how, with what, and when to respond” to Ukraine’s ‘terrorist attack’. Ukrainian monitoring channels have previously warned of a large Russian attack coinciding with New Year’s Eve. Putin told Trump that “Kiev’s terrorist actions” will not go unanswered, according to Russia’s TASS state news agency.

Spokeswoman for Russia’s Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova also ramped up the rhetoric by calling Ukrainian President Zelensky a ‘terrorist outcast’, vowing that a strong response is coming. Dmitry Medvedev, deputy chairman of Russia’s Security Council, also said that Zelensky would “have to stay in hiding for the rest of his worthless life”.

Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said that the timing and nature of Russia’s response to “Kyiv’s state terrorism” has been decided

Ukraine denies

Ukraine vehemently denies being behind the reported drone attack against Putin’s residence, with President Zelensky saying that it is “a complete fabrication intended to justify additional attacks against Ukraine”. Zelensky and other Ukrainian officials have told Ukrainians to remain vigilant, warning that Russia is preparing ground to “strike Ukraine’s government buildings in Kyiv”

No evidence has been provided by Russia of the attack on Putin’s residence. Local residents have told independent Russian outlet SOTA that no air defence activity was heard in the proximity of Putin’s residence last night.

A source close to French President Macron told Reuters on Tuesday there was no evidence to corroborate Russia’s claims that Ukraine targeted Putin’s residence. Asked by reporters, Kremlin spokesman Peskov said there was no need to provide evidence of the attack.

Peace Negotiations

Russian officials have signalled a switch in their approach to the ongoing peace negotiations with Ukraine. Kremlin Spokesman Peskov said Russia would toughen its negotiating position. It’s not immediately clear what this would entail as no further information has been provided.

Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov told Russian State Media that Trump told Putin that the drone attack would affect American approaches to working with Zelensky. US officials have not confirmed this.

International reactions

US President Donald Trump told press that he was angry when President Putin told him about the attack on his residence. In a phone call with the Russian leader, Trump reportedly said “Thank God, we did not give Tomahawks to Ukraine”, according to Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov.

India, Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates and Nicaragua have condemned the purported attack against Putin’s residence. India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a post on X that he was “Deeply concerned by reports of the targeting of the residence of the President of the Russian Federation”.

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha says they were “disappointed and concerned to see the statements by Emirati, Indian, and Pakistani sides expressing their concerns regarding the attack that never happened.

Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia have condemned the Kremlin for what they deem a false flag operation to justify possible strikes against Ukraine. Latvia’s Foreign Minister Baiba Braže said in response to the Russian claims that “The Kremlin butcher needs war, not peace, to justify existence”.

One Response

  1. They needed an excuse for another mass missile and drone attack on civilian infrastructure. Every year during the holiday and New Year period they terrorize Ukraine’s civilian population with increased intensity, because that’s their fucked-up nature. They were afraid of Trump’s reaction due to the proximity of Zelensky’s visit to the White House, so they came up with a fairytale about a “terrorist attack”. An “attack” from which more than 30 hours have passed, and they haven’t shown even a single piece of evidence, not even a fabricated one.

Leave a Reply to paroova Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *